Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan is a scheme by the Ministry of Human Resource Development. And as per the school, government will construct toilets in all the schools. Also, there will be separate toilets for boys and girls. The government gave 1 year time period to complete this scheme.
This is majorly a part of the Swachh Bharat mission. And the funding of the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan comes from the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan funds.
Key Features of the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan
- Each school in India will have proper and clean drinking water.
- Also, all the schools will have separate toilets for boys and girls.
- Hand wash sanitation is also a part of the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan. So, school will need to provide a proper hand washing area.
- The idea is to make the schools more hygienic. And hence, proper cleaning mechanisms will also form a part of the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan.
- Further, government will build capacities of the schools. If there are no tables and chairs for students, government will provide it mandatorily.
Benefits of the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan
Though a simple benefit is that the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan will make the schools a better place to study in, we have some more benefits also. Read on to know more.
- Proper hygiene and sanitation will provide a healthy environment in the schools. This will reduce illness of children. Children will participate more in education and hence they will learn more.
- It is a general trend in India that girls drop out of schools as they get older. The basic reason is that they do not have separate toilets. With the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan, government is providing separate toilets for both genders. This will improve the scenario to some extent.
- Infectious diseases will not catch children. They will need to wash their hands before all the meals. This will provide them proper nutrition and exclude germs.
- The attendance of the school children will increase. This is definitely a sign of the growth of the nation.
- When children see a change in their schools, it will change their mindset as well. They will try to keep up with the clean practices at their homes as well. So, in the coming years, we can expect children to act as ambassadors of cleanliness. This will help the Swachh Bharat mission in a way.
What is the Target of the Government?
Government has set below targets to achieve the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan. We hope that the target are met before the end of the first year of the scheme.
- For every 40 students, there will be a toilet.
- Toilets will contain menstrual hygiene facilities. This includes soap, proper space for changing, washing space and dust bins.
- Adequate space so that at least 10 students can wash hands at a time.
- Teachers will get training on good handwashing techniques. And later they will teach the same to the kids.
- Proper maintenance of the washrooms and hand washing areas. This will keep the children interested in following hygiene practices.
- Teachers will teach girls proper menstrual hygiene techniques.
If you have any queries on the Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan, you can comment below. We will get back to you in the soonest possible time.