DigiLocker is an initiative by the Government of India under the Digital India Program. All the residents of the India will get an electronic space in which they can store their personal documents. The best part is that this will be your personal space. Also, it is a secure space so you can be sure that your personal documents are safe.
You can store the documents such as your PAN card, your mark sheets and even your Aadhar card in the DigiLocker. So, storing your documents is no longer a difficult job. Read on to know the features of the DigiLocker in detail.
What are the Key Objectives of the Digital Locker System?
- The DigiLocker will reduce the need of storing the physical document with you all the time.
- The scheme aims to enable digital empowerment. So, when citizens need the documents, they can reach them on the cloud rather than searching for them physically.
- By the use of DigiLocker, fake documents will find a reduction. This is because the government will authenticate the e-documents.
- The government will provide a secure access to the people so that they can access their documents when needed.
- The citizens can access the documents through a web portal as well as a mobile application. So, no matter device you are using, you can access your documents anytime.
- Receiving the government services which require the government documents as proofs will get easy. This is because the citizens need not search the documents, then take a Xerox copy of them and present it to the officials. They can just access the online documents and take a copy of them.
- The documents can be shared easily across agencies as all the documents will have a standard format under the DigiLocker scheme.
- Also, the citizens will get a sense of privacy as only they can access their DigiLocker.
What are the Key Features of the DigiLocker?
- Each resident will get 10MB of storage space in which they can store their personal documents.
- The personal storage will be linked to the Aadhar card of the residents, so it will be unique for each user.
- The users can access the documents directly from repositories using an online URI link.
- They can also share the documents on request whenever they want.
- Since the DigiLocker is available on web portal as well as the mobile application, all the users can use it. The use of smartphones is increasing day by day and hence, this feature will add points to the scheme.
- The residents can also sign their documents digitally and authenticate them using the integrated e-sign facility.
- The users can also upload their utility bills so that they can refer to them later whenever they want it. Storing the bills and important receipts is a difficult task, but thanks to the DigiLocker, it will make such tasks easier.
What components make up a DigiLocker?
Basically, there are 2 components of a DigiLocker. A repository and an access gateway. Both of these have their respective functions.
- Repository: This refers to the collection of the electronic documents. The users can access the repositories whenever they need a particular document.
- Access Gateway: This is similar to the payment gateways used the banks. The requesters need to pass through this gateway. This way, the government will ensure that our documents are safe and they do not fall into wrong hands.
What is URI of the documents?
Each document on the DigiLocker will have a unique URI. URI sands for Uniform Resource Indicator. So, basically, this is nothing but a link to the document. The issuers can upload the documents and then tell the particular resident about the URI of the document so that they can access it.
Steps to Create DigiLocker Account: How DigiLocker Works
Creating a DigiLocker account is very simple. So, if you want to know how DigiLocker works, just sign up for it using teh givem steps. Here we explain in detail how to register for DigiLocker India. You can let us know in the comments section below in case you find it difficult to sign up for DigiLocker.
- First of all, you will need to visit the official website.
- There, you will see an option to “Register”.
- As soon as you click on this button, a new window will open in your system.
- Again, on the landing page, you will se an option to “Register for a DigiLocker Account”.
- You need to have a valid Aadhar number to register for DigiLocker. And you will a box where you need to enter it. Here, you can add your Aadhar number.
- After you add the Aadhar number, come down. You will get two options to verify your identity. The first option is to get an OTP and the second option is to use your fingerprint.
- If you choose the option of OTP, you will get a one time password on your email-id or phone number. You can enter this OTP in the OTP field. And then, click continue to proceed.
- nd, in case you choose the option use fingerprint to verify your Aadhar card number, you will need a fingerprint device. Just print your thumb and upload it.
- Hit continue.
- Once your data is verified, the website will ask you to set your username and password.
- Set it and you are ready to go.
Congratulations! You have now registered for your DigiLocker account successfully.
Who can use the DigiLocker?
How Residents can Use DigiLocker?
- First of all, the residents need to have an Aadhar number.
- They should link their mobile number with their respective Aadhar numbers under the UIDAI system.
- They need to login to the website, enter their Aadhar number and then click on Get OTP. As soon as they click, they will receive an OTP on their phone. They need to enter it in the OTP field. This will complete the e-KYC.
- Then, they can access their documents using the URI links. Whatever documents issuers have uploaded would be visible there.
- They can also upload the documents if they want. Also, they can e-sign the documents after uploading them.
- When a requester asks for any of the official documents, you can share the document with them just by sending the URI link of the document to their email-id.
How can Issuers use DigiLocker?
- Issuers can registers themselves on the DigiLocker. They will get a unique Issuer Id when they register themselves. And they should note down the issuer ID.
- Issuers can upload documents as they want in the XML format.
- They can also make use of the repository service provider and upload the particular documents in a particular repository.
- The documents that the issuer uploads will have an issuer ID, a document Id and the document type. Later on, the digital locket system will push the URI of the uploaded document to the concerned person.
How can Requesters use the DigiLocker?
- The requesters need to follow a different step.
- They need to register with the access gateway so that they can access the DigiLocker.
- They can retrieve the documents using the document URIs but they will need to go through the access gateway only.
How to Upload Documents & Certificates in DigiLocker – A Detailed Guide
- The first step is to click the “Upload” button. So, whenever you want to upload a document, just log into your DigiLocker and click on this button.
- You will get the file upload dialog box. There, you can select the document which you want to upload. Make sure that the document is already present in your computer system.
- After the document upload completes, you will see an option to select the type of the document. This option is “Select doc type”.
- Click on this. A pop up will appear. And you will see a big list of document types. Choose the type as per your document. And do not forget to click the “Save” button.
- There is also an option to edit the name of the file. This option is present just next to the filename. So, if you want to edit it anytime in future, you can do so.
If you have any queries regarding the DigiLocker or the Digital India Program, write to us in the comments section below.