The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is an important step towards the betterment of BPL households. Under this scheme, the BPL households will get LPG gas connections. In India, there are still a large number of families who cannot afford even the basic amenities. Therefore, the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will give them a ray of hope.
The women in the BPL families still use unhealthy and unclean fuels for cooking. As a result, these fuels harm the family members’ health. And they degrade the nature as well. With the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, the government aims to replace all unhealthy fuels with a single fuel, which is, LPG. Under the scheme, the government will provide free LPG connections to the BPL families.
Key Objectives of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- The government will provide 5 crore LPG gas connections under the scheme.
- The women who are a part of the BPL families will get the connections in their names.
- When women use unhealthy fuels for cooking, their own health gets harmed. Hence, the scheme will also help in empowering women in a way as it would protect their own health.
- The use of a clean cooking fuel will also eradicate a large number of health issues. And the government is expecting to see a reduction in casualties caused by unhealthy fuel.
- The unclean fuel does not get burned properly. This causes indoor pollution and consequently, it causes respiratory problems among the BPL families. So, with the launch of the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, we can expect a decrease in such issues.
- In India, a significant number of deaths occur due to the use of unclean fossil fuels. This is because the remains of these unclean fuels choke the user. The government aims at reducing such deaths by providing a clean fuel.
- The use of unclean fossil fuels has a major impact on the environment. Hence, this scheme will benefit the environment as well.
- The government will implement the scheme over a period of 3 years. And it will provide LPG connections to more than 1.5 crore BPL families during this time.
Who can apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana?
The Indian citizens who meet the below eligibility criteria can apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
- Any woman who hold Indian citizenship and is above 18 years of age can apply.
- The woman who is applying should belong to the BPL household category. BPL stands for Below Poverty Line.
- The woman should be the first one from the household to ask for an LPG connection. This means that no one among the family members of the woman should have an LPG connection.
- The states and union territories generally set a limit on the income for the BPL households. The total household income of the woman’s family should not exceed this limit.
- If the woman applies for any of the other similar government schemes, she cannot apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
- The SECC-2011 data should have the applicant’s name. The government will also match the data of the applicant as listed in the database with that the oil companies hold.
What are the documents Required to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana?
- A valid BPL certificate. Most of the times, the Panchayat Pradhan or the Municipality Chairman will sign this certificate.
- Ration card of the BPL category.
- An identity proof.
- A passport size photo of the applicant.
Apart from these documents, the LPG outlet might ask for a utility bill, or the house lease agreement, bank statement, house registration documents or any other document which prove your authenticity. Generally, if the applicant fails to produce a proper ID proof with their photograph on it, the authorities will go for other documents.
How to Apply for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
Applying for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a very easy task. All you need to do is present the necessary documents and then submit them along with the application form at any LPG outlet.
- Get the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana form from the nearest LPG outlet. You can also download the form online from the PM Ujjwala Yojana website.
- Fill the form carefully with the correct details. The details include name, address, location, age, and ration card information, information of the adult members of the family and the bank information. The bank information is required so as to provide PAHAL benefits to the applicants. With the PAHAL scheme, the women of the BPL families will get the subsidy money in their bank accounts directly.
- There is an option to mention which cylinder you would need. Choose it carefully keeping in mind the requirements of your household. There are two options. You can either choose the 14.2 kg cylinder or the 5 kg cylinder.
- Attach all the mandatory documents with the application form.
- Submit the form and the attached documents at the nearest LPG outlet.
Who is Funding the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana?
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has undertaken the project of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana. For the financial, year 2016-2017. A sum of Rs. 2000 crore has been set aside just for the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
- The government wants to distribute LPG connections to over 1.5 crore BPL households. A total of Rs. 8000 crore is allotted to the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
- The funds which the government will collect through the “Give-it-up” policy will also make up funds for this scheme.
- The government is also providing EMI facilities to the BPL families. This will cover the stove and the refill costs.
- They BPL households which are eligible for the scheme will get Rs. 1600 financial support too. This money will be given only to the female head of family.
The Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is one of a kind because it aims at helping the poorest of the poor section. Let us know your opinion about the scheme in the comments section below.