Swachh Bharat Mission means a mission for clean India. The country is getting dirty because people do not pay enough attention to cleanliness. So, under this mission, the main aim is to clean up India. The mission will cover the roads and streets in all the cities and towns of India. Basically, the infrastructure of the country is getting cleaned under this mission.
It was in 2014 that this mission was first launched. And after that, government is making various additions to the scheme. So, far, the mission has reached almost all the cities in the country. And the government is organizing campaigns on a regular basis to raise awareness about this program. Read on to know more about the mission.
What is the Background of the Swachh Bharat Mission?
Earlier, we had various missions to clean up India. One of the major missions was Nirmal Bharat Mission. Under this mission, the people were not allowed to defecate in open. This means that construction of toilets was mandatory in every home. But, the policies were not strict and hence, people did not pay much heed to it.
In many rural areas, open defecation was still going on. So, when Narendra Modi came into power, he launched the Swachh Bharat Mission. Basically, the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan was restructured under this mission. Now, along with the curbing open defecation, the Swachh Bharat Mission is covering various other aspects which will help to clean the country at a ground level.
Also read Swachh Vidyalaya Abhiyan.
What were the Reasons behind the Launch of the Swachh Bharat Mission?
Even after many years of independence, India is struggling with basic problems. Cleanliness and proper sanitation are a part of these problems. Below listed problems still exist in India. And the Swachh Bharat Mission is a try to curb all these problems on a permanent basis.
- So many people in various parts of the country still defecate openly. This is not good as it might cause certain lethal diseases.
- There are still many people who do not use flushing toilets. This might cause some problems in the long run.
- Manual scavenging is still happening in many parts of the country. There is a need to stop this right now if we want a better India.
- People think that it is the government’s responsibility to provide them a cleaner atmosphere. They should realize that they can make their surroundings clean, not the government. Even if the government does, they should be the ones to maintain it. So, Swachh Bharat Mission aims at providing this awareness among people.
- In rural areas, waste management is not happening using the latest and scientific technologies. The people still use traditional methods to dump the waste. With the changing needs, we should change our ways too.
- People in rural areas believe that proper sanitation is a need of modern life. But they are not aware of the harmful effects of traditional practices. This is because they have been living in the village all through their lives. A need is there to make them educated and aware of these problems.
How is the Government Raising Awareness for the Mission?
The government is very keen to implement this mission on a national level. So, various ad campaigns are taking place over the last 2 years. Various celebrities chosen to act as the campaigners are:
- Sachin Tendulkar
- Baba Ramdev
- Priyanka Chopra
- Kamal Hassan
- Tarak Mehta ka Ooltah Chashmah team
- Salman Khan
- Mridula Sinha
- Anil Ambani
- Shashi Tharoor
So, we can say that the government I staking a lot of steps to educate the people. Also, it is doing a lot of acts to make people educated. There are many health benefits of cleaner surroundings. And government wants all Indians to know them.
Key Features of Swachh Bharat Mission
- The Swachh Bharat Mission will make the cities and towns tidy. So they will see a cleaner look of the cities and this will satisfy them in general.
- The mission will promote a good and healthy lifestyle. So, the people will not fall sick due to dirt related diseases.
- It was the dream of Mahatma Gandhi to see a clean India. And with the launch of Swachh Bharat Mission, this dream will turn into a reality.
- All the mission wants from common man is to devote a minimum of 100 hours per year to cleanliness of their localities. They can help in cleaning the schools, their office or their home and neighborhood.
- The mission will continue till 2019 and by 2016, the government is expecting to see some major results.
How is the Performance of the Swachh Bharat Mission?
- From the time the mission came into force, government built approx. 31q.83 lakhs of toilets by the next January itself.
- And, by the August 2015, this number increased to 80 lakhs.
- As per the most recent data of March 2016, as many as 10 districts in the country were declared as ODF. Here, ODF stands for Open Defecation Free.
- Karnataka is the sate which led the toilet construction move.
What are the Future Prospects of the Swachh Bharat Mission?
- In future, railways is going to implement the mission.
- So, in all the non-AC coaches, the railway department will provide clean bed-rolls. Also, they will start bio-toilets and automatic laundries. Government will also install dustbins in all the coaches.
- The government will combine the Swachh Bharat Mission with the Digital India Programme. In this, they will install solar powered dustbins. So, whenever they are full, a notification will go to the sanitation crew. This is already there in the US and India might soon adopt it.
The various areas of the country have different needs. For example, we already have toilets in most urban areas. So, we need not focus on building toilets there. But we surely have industrial waste accumulating there. So, we need ways to dump such kinds of wastes. On the other hand, rural areas are short of proper and scientific waste management system. So, we should focus on building a proper waste management system in such areas.