Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana is a scheme to improve the agriculture sector of India. A major part of the country’s economy depends on agriculture. And hence, Prime Minister decided to launch this scheme. The farmers will get the most benefits from the scheme. The major focus is on irrigation and the government will make investments in irrigation.
As the name itself suggests, the major aim of the scheme is to provide good irrigation facilities. Due to a change in the weather cycle, irrigation is not proper since last few years. Farmers have to pay a heavy price for it sometimes. The Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana will make sure that these things do not happen. The motto of the scheme is “Har Khet ko Pani” which means that every field will get water.
Which other Projects come under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana?
Though there is no one body to start the scheme, below 3 bodies play a part in it. These three bodies will come together and decide what is best for farmers. They will decide the budget for different sectors. Following projects are combined together and brought under one platform – Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana.
- Farm water management component of the National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture.
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme of the Ministry of Water Resources.
- Integrated Watershed Management Programme of the Ministry of Rural Development.
Also read Namami Gange Project.
Key Objectives of the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana
Currently in India, most of the areas depend on nature for irrigation. Though artificial irrigation exists, but it covers only 45% of land. So, under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, there is a plan to enhance artificial agricultural practices. Read more about the objectives of the scheme below.
- Increase the artificial irrigation facilities land area. At least 6 lakh hectares of land will come under artificial irrigation.
- Enhance drip irrigation facilities. Approximately 5 lakh hectares of land will come under this facility. This will make irrigation a lot easier.
- Improve the earlier projects for water irrigation and implement them again with strict guidelines.
Key Features of the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana
- In the 2015-16 budget, government put aside Rs. 5300 crore only for the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana.
- The scheme will utilize funds of a total of Rs. 50000 crore. Over the next five years, various ventures will happen. And this much fund will be invested for the scheme.
- With this scheme, the government will provide an end-to-end solution to the farmers. And all the investments will happen at farm level. So, farmers will know what exactly is happening and how they can make it better.
- This scheme will provide physical access to water. Also, it will help to increase the cultivable area. So the farmers will get higher yields.
- The government is planning to use the latest technologies under this scheme. So, better integration of the sources of water and their distribution will happen. Also, farmers will get a chance to use the water efficiently.
- This scheme also tries to promote the micro-irrigation practices. These practices include pivots, drips, rain-guns, sprinklers and others.
- The government has one more agenda under the scheme. “More Crop per Drop” which means that water saving will happen to the maximum extent. And the water will go only to crops and not to the drains. This will in turn help in sustainable water conservation.
- Under this scheme, the treated waste water from the municipalities will also be used for irrigation.
What are the Major Benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana?
- Inflation rates will reduce because proper irrigation will control the prices of basic food items.
- There are various other industries which use the end-products of agriculture as their raw materials. With this scheme, better yield will come. And hence, such industries will get benefits.
- We can also expect an increase in foreign capital. This is because the better irrigation will generate surplus for sure. And after storing the required surplus, we can export the rest.
- The need to import will reduce the need of import. So the money that is put aside for import will be saved automatically.
There were various projects under the various departments which were meant to improve irrigation. But, for some reason or the other, they are not performing well. Under the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana, the government has plans to rework on them. It will complete the incomplete projects and bring them back with stricter deadlines. So, we can expect a better future for the farmers and their families.
How will the Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana Function?
The functioning of the scheme is very organized. So, the government ensures that it will come up with most beneficial results.
- The scheme will follow a decentralized approach. This means that the entire control will not be at the center. But it will be distributed to the states and districts.
- There will be various District Irrigation Plans (DIPs) and State Irrigation Plans (SIPs). The district will control the DIPs and the state will control the SIPs.
- The National Steering Committee (NSC) will regularly monitor the progress of DIPs and SIPs. And also, it will supervise them.
- Union ministers will also monitor what growth their particular bodies are making.
- Further, the Prime Minister will chair this committee of the Union Ministers.
Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana and Water Conservation
Water conservation is a very important topic and the scheme takes good care of it. The scheme will focus on More Crop per Drop.
- The scheme will try to cut down wastage of water.
- Also, it will take steps to optimize the use of water bodies.
- The scheme will discover newer methods to treat the waste water. Also, it will invent various ways to use them again. And then the scheme will implement them.
- This scheme will also focus on water recycling. Since water is rare in some places, we should not even waste one drop of it. And this scheme will keep this fact in mind.
Let us know about your thoughts on the scheme in the comments section below.