Rashtriya Gokul Mission is a scheme to conserve the indigenous cattle breeds. As per the government, we need to conserve these breeds. And a good way to do it is by following a scientific and focused approach. The Rashtriya Gokul Mission is essentially a part of the National Livestock Mission. Read on to know more about the scheme.
Key Features of the Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- The mission is to protect cow breeds. So, we can expect to see a rise in the number of local cow breeds.
- The government will spend a fund of 150 crore on the protection of the cows.
- Many new gaushalas may be constructed across the cities. I not gaushalas, the government will construct cattle care centers.
- If a farmer takes the scheme seriously and helps the government to preserve these local cow breeds, he will get recognition. The government is planning to provide “Gopal Ratna” awards to such exemplary farmers.
Government also started many other schemes for the welfare of farmers.
What is the need of the Rashtriya Gokul Mission?
The Rashtriya Gokul Mission was important because the local cow breeds were getting cross-bred. So, we were losing the indigenous breeds. Since the local breeds hold an importance, we need to preserve them. And that is why, this mission was important.
Not only the local breeds have an emotional attachment to the country, but they are good for economy as well. Generally, local breeds are more adapted to the country’s climate as compared to the cross bred ones.
Key Objectives of the Rashtriya Gokul Mission
With the launch of Rashtriya Gokul Mission, government plans to aim at below objectives.
- Increase the production of milk in the country. Currently, countries like US, UK, Israel etc. have more production of milk. We need to strengthen our economy by producing more milk here itself.
- When it comes to milk production across the world, we have a good position. But actually, milk yield per cow is less. We produce more milk because we have a large livestock population. Our aim is to increase yield per cow.
- The cows are not getting proper feeding and nutrition. And that is why, they produce less yield. Under the Rashtriya Gokul Mission, the government will not only protect the local breeds, but also increase the nutrition provided to them.
What are the Gokul Grams?
You must have heard of the Gokul Grams when there is a mention of Rashtriya Gokul Mission. Gokul Grams refer to the cattle centers.
- These cattle centers will be indigenous.
- And the government is planning to establish some of the Gokul grams near big cities. This will make it possible to house urban cattle.
- Native breeding tracts will also be home for some of the Gokul Grams though.
- They will supply a breeding stock of high genetics to the farmers.
- And these Gokul grams will not receive any funds from the government. Rather, they would support themselves. And they can do so by selling the cow produces such as A2 milk, urine distillates etc.
- The cattle centers will also give rise to bio gas which can later produce electricity.
If you have any further queries about the Rashtriya Gokul Mission, let us know in the comments section below.