The IRCTC Travel Insurance by railway will start from September. In this insurance, the passengers can opt for insurance while travelling. And in case they get some permanent disability during the train journey, they can claim the insurance cover for up to 10 lakhs.
The passengers might have to pay a premium for the policy. But this premium is as less as Rs. 10 per ticket. This is a right step in the wake of so many rail accidents happening these days. The travel insurance is starting from September month. The insurance cover will come into force when the train will start from its origin station. And, it will remain valid till the train reaches its destination station. The insurance will also include the entraining and detraining process.
Key Features of the IRCTC Travel Insurance
- The scheme is available only to those passengers who book their tickets online. In the future, the scheme may extend to the passengers buying tickets from counters also.
- The insurance is optional. So the passengers who do not want to take the insurance can opt out of the scheme.
- This is the pilot period of the scheme and this pilot period will last for one year.
- The class of the ticket does not make any difference, the IRCTC Travel Insurance is available for all the classes.
- The passengers have to book their tickets through the official IRCTC website in order to take benefits of the IRCTC Travel Insurance.
- The premium of the IRCTC Travel Insurance is very low. It is even lesser than Re. 1.
- If you book multiple tickets under only one PNR, the policy will necessarily cover all the passengers. In such case, the authorities will increase the payable premium.
- If you cancel the ticket for some reason, the refund of premium is not possible as of now.
- The premium of the policy might depend upon the distance between the origin city and the destination city. Also, it will depend upon the duration of the journey.
Read more about the recent government insurance schemes for the welfare of the nation.
How to Apply for IRCTC Travel Insurance
The IRCTC Travel Insurance is available only at the official IRCTC website. So, all the passengers who want this insurance for their travel need to follow the below steps.
- Log on to the official IRCTC website.
- You can then proceed to book your ticket as you do always.
- After you finish the filling of form, you will notice a new option of “Travel Insurance”. This is a checkbox and if you want the insurance, you can check it.
- If you choose to take the insurance and select “yes” for Travel Insurance, the website will prompt you to accept the terms and conditions. You can go through the terms and conditions and accept them.
- Once you accept the terms and conditions, the premium amount will reflect in your ticket total.
- After that, you can proceed to make the payment.
- As soon as the ticket is confirmed, the passenger will receive an SMS or an E-mail confirming his insurance. The insurance company will send this SMS and it will contain the policy number. Along with policy number, a link will appear.
- You can use this link to update the details of the nominees in case some mishap happens during your journey.
- If the passenger does not fill the nominee details, then the policy will automatically take the legal heirs of the person as the nominees.
- You can then view the policy and insurance details at the tickets booked history page on the official IRCTC website.
Are there any exclusions to the IRCTC Travel Insurance?
Yes. There are some exclusions that you should know about. read on to know about these conditions of exclusion.
- The passengers of the sub urban trains do not come under the passenger travel insurance for now.
- The tickets which are confirmed or RAC will come under the insurance. The other waiting tickets are not covered.
- Children who are not 5 years of age yet do not come under the passenger travel insurance.
- Foreign citizens also do not come under the passenger travel insurance.
What will the IRCTC Travel Insurance cover?
- All the Indian passengers of the Indian railways, no matter what class they are travelling in.
- Passengers above the age of 5 years or equal to 5 years are covered.
- Vikalp trains are also covered. Also, the short termination and diverted route is covered. So, if the insured person chooses to travel by the alternate transport, the insurance will cover him. However, the Indians railways should have arranged that alternate transport.
- In case of death or permanent disability, the insured can claim Rs. 10 lakhs.
- In case of permanent disability but partial, the insured can claim up to Rs. 7.5 lakhs.
- In case the train meets with an accident and the insured needs hospitalization, he/she can claim up to Rs. 2 lakhs.
- For the transportation of the mortal remains, the insured can claim up to Rs. 10,000.
- For all the claiming and further proceedings to happen smoothly, the insured or the nominees should claim the policy cover within 4 months of event.
- When the claim is made, the insurance company is liable to send the claim money through cheque within 15 days.
What are the Future Prospects of the IRCTC Travel Insurance?
- Right now, the IRCTC Travel Insurance is available only to the e-tickets. This means that only those passengers who book their tickets online can take the policy. The passengers who travel suddenly will face problems when they want a cover. So, very soon, the policy will cover offline passengers too.
- The scheme is not flexible as of now. But in future the insurance companies might provide provisions to the passengers to increase the amount of insurance.
- The maximum cover amount is Rs. 10 lakhs as of now but based on discussions, it may reach up to Rs. 50 lakhs. It depends on the success of the IRCTC Travel Insurance scheme though.
- The baggage is not covered in the IRCTC Travel Insurance. But very soon, the government will include the baggage insurance too.